The Race to the Bottom of Maslow’s Pyramid

I know,  you know, We all know that this is not going to end well. I want to know how to survive the Apocalypse without buying gold or Bitcoin, investing in real estate or the stock market because those things require money. I know, you know and we all know that at least 80% of us don’t have any.

Doug Casey’s 1980 interview on Phil Donahue foretold what Americans should’ve done, but that was way back then, when I was dreaming about getting rich. Then, I read that only 2% of the population achieved Financial Independence the remaining 98 per cent were dependent on government support totally or in part. I was still struggling to be Debt Free, let alone assemble an investment income.

The Race to the Bottom of the Pyramid

Now, the Boomers are just hoping they can make it to 62, the X’ers worry about the robots taking over all the jobs at Wal-Mart, the employer of last resort, while the Millennials are plotting the ‘American Spring’ on their smart phones. Doug Casey espouses 1) developing marketable job skills 2) leaving the country 3) opening a bank account in Switzerland or Singapore.

  1. developing marketable job skills: find your genius, your uniqueness, your Dharma and become an entrepreneur 
  2. leaving the country: if you’re under 30 go to Africa, over 30 South America Argentina, maybe Chile or Columbia. 
  3. opening a bank account in Switzerland or Singapore:  the government knows where you keep the money.  

Personal Experience: Brazil ’75-’78 I’d go to Argentina; Egypt ’85-’86 revisited in 2015 and Ethiopia 2013, if I was 30 I’d  go to the interior nations e.g.  Zambia, Malawi, Congo. China ’08-’14 if under 55 with an American accent teach ESL; Antalya, Turkey ’14-present, the bestest, cheapest place in the world for retirees. Casey doesn’t like Europe for its prospects of WWIII. No Euro country is affordable including Cyprus. USA ’43-’08 Cincinnati, Cleveland, Atlanta, Scottsdale, Houston, Eugene; I’d try to figure a way to live in Savannah, get involved in the real food farm to market movement and Sub Chapter S or LLC myself.

I have always been a Live to Eat kinda guy and want to avoid the Eat to Live crowd at the bottom of the pyramid.